Take One Dress 6; Elegance & Elephants (and a News Update!)

By Victoria As-it-Seams - 14:43

The Take One Dress series has reached part 6! Can you believe it?! Certainly the half year has whizzed by. 
Which is why today, at the 'half way' point of Take One Dress chain of creativity, I have a news update! But, apologies, you'll have to get to the bottom of this post for my exciting news!
But before then, it's time to introduce Heidi from Elegance & Elephants with her creation.
I am so honoured and touched to have Heidi here. She's a dynamo of creativity, not only sewing, but designing some fabulous patterns . Her Bohemian Baby Doll dress is her latest design, and is so lovely, understated and beautiful...And I adore her Fedora pattern.
Over to you Heidi...


How exciting to be a part of this wonderful series!  Thanks to Victoria for the invitation.

A big part of the excitement for me was knowing that Trine from Groovy Baby and Mama (of whom I'm a huge fan) was providing my inspiration.  So, when her post was revealed along with this photo, I was ready to go, my head spinning with ideas!



There are so many different directions one could go with this dress, but after days (or more like weeks) of deliberation, I decided to focus on the silhouette and the stripes.  Using Selvage Designs Children's Top Blocks as a starting point, I drafted the bodice giving it a slight slope to the shoulder with a bateau neckline.  My stripes were horizontal on my knit fabric, but I really liked how the original dress had both directions on the bodice and skirt.  So, I decided to add a little square pocket on the bodice in the opposite direction to the stripes on the skirt.  










Thanks for having me here!  It's be fun to participate in Take One Dress.

It wasn't easy to narrow down the options, but I finally was able to decide on an inspiration dress for Sophie.  From stripes to spots!  Can't wait to see what she makes!!




Heidi! That is so lovely. It is exactly the kind of dress that my little girl would wear and wear...I have a 'thing' for stripes, and really love the opposing directions. Something about it on the eye.
Thank you so much for taking part!
And now I have a confession. Heidi thought she was providing an 'inspiration' dress for me, for the final installment of Take One Dress. But it has all gone so fast, and I just couldn't bear it to end!
So Take One Dress will be extended to run through the second half of 2014, with a fresh line-up of bloggers to take on the chain of creativity.
Next up is Sophie from C'est La Vie, on July 7. French blogger Sophie sews impeccably, with an amazing sense of style. Renee from Nearest the Pin will be here on August 4. Details of the full line up will soon be revealed!



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Oh Heidi, your daughter is super sweet ;) And I'm really looking forward to see Sophie's creation in a month's time! Everythings she sews is just perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi! your dress is so sweet:) love that big pocket! I love this dress you give me as inspiration!! totally my style! now I am on the fabric hunt!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited and inspired I forgot to thank you Victoria for inviting me to this series:) I am honored ! thank you!!:) merciiiiiiii! I already pulled out fabrics and pattern paper!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi, what a wonderful little dress. I am so glad the series continues Victoria!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you, and try to reply as often as I can, either here or by email. All views, tips, gratefully received...
Victoria