Snip, snip! Some Nani Iro for me!

By Victoria As-it-Seams - 05:56

Ooops! 
It was my scissors, not me...honest. 
I've cut up some beautiful Nani Iro flannel.


This lovely fabric was supposed to be for a dress for Missy, but, that girl has plenty of dresses, while her mother on the other hand...


This is Nani Iro brushed cotton, Sen Ritsu Mezzo Piano, bought from Miss Matatabi, and really it's the winter version of this double gauze Nani Iro top.
A lot of my sewing projects for Missy have been quite challenging, but every now and again, I just want to; "Cut. Sew. Wear."
And this pattern ticked that box. This is the easy-peasy Melly Sews Hi Lo top, a free pattern which I can sew up in an evening.


Melly suggests using fabrics with plenty of drape for this pattern. And that is NOT this flannel.
It's super soft, with a flash of gold to lift the floral print. 




But it's a cosy brushed flannel, and not at all drapy and it looked a little odd, at first, as the Melly Sews top. So I added a couple of darts down the bodice, in addition to the side bust darts, to slim and streamline the shape. I also lengthened the sleeves, and narrowed them, in an attempt to create something long and elegant. And it all, kind of works, as a rather strange hybrid top.



The pattern also suggest finishing the neckline with bias binding made from the fabric. There was NO WAY I was going to attempt to make bias binding in this flannel, it would be way too bulky, so I finished the neckline with hidden bias behind the neckline, which also meant remembering to  add a seam allowance to the neckline.

Sometimes I feel a little guilty about being so reckless and experimental with such wonderful fabric, and I have moments of being a bit 'slap dash' with sewing, but you know, that's ok.
I  think it's better to get on with sewing and wearing lovely fabric, rather than letting it gather dust on my fabric stash shelves...

Right then... what lovely fabric is next? Snip snip....!

Follow on Bloglovin






  • Share:

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. good for you for sewing for yourself! I think this fabric is amazing and it suits ou perfectly! it looks so so soft!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work adjusting the pattern ti fit this gorgeous fabric. The top looks lovely on and I bet it feels oh so good to wear! The print is just adorable! Snip snip away Victoria :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's awesome and looks incredible on you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't feel guilty, you make your daughter lovey thing and this flannel was meant to be to you. Such a pretty print. Well done on getting it to work. This top is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't feel guilty, you make your daughter lovey thing and this flannel was meant to be to you. Such a pretty print. Well done on getting it to work. This top is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, look at you! All pretty! I love that shirt/blouse/whatever on you. It really suits you and the fabric is super beuatiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you, and try to reply as often as I can, either here or by email. All views, tips, gratefully received...
Victoria