A blouse of Joy... and smiles, and flowers..

By Victoria As-it-Seams - 13:40


So the clue is in the fabric's name; Joy.
And that is exactly what this metre and a half has brought me.



Its full name is Joy Flower in Smile (isn't that the most life-enhancing name!) It's by Nani Iro, double gauze, bought from  Miss Matatabi and on sale here.
(I must confess to developing a certain addiction to little packets arriving from Japan...)

My photographs - taken by my eight year old son Torin - don't do the delicacy of this fabric justice.

It is a subtle pale beige, a colour I don't often choose. It's over printed with subtle garlands of white flowers that have the gentlest shimmer , and little spots of floral colour.  'Smile' indeed....(and yes...I spotted that stray loose thread too. But if I ask Torin to re-shoot the photos, smiles will evaporate).




For a pattern, I went for something effortless and simple - this great free pattern from Melly Sews, the High Low Shirt.
I actually completed this months ago, in the same week that I finished Mr As it Seams' birthday present shirt which was such a monumental project, that I need a sewing antidote.
Melly Sews blouse was it. With just three pattern pieces, it's dipped hem at the back, gentle shaping with bust darts, this only took an hour or so.  I cut the main pattern pieces with a slight flare to them, in an effort to create a swing silouhette. The sleeves are bang on my elbow, a flattering length - but it does mean they look creased immediately - this blouse is freshly ironed for these photos, honestly.

I also completed a sewing first - home made bias binding neckline. I had barely enough fabric to complete the bias, so it's in lots of short strips, and the double gauze wasn't the easiest to maneouvre, but it turned out fine.


And this has been a real wardrobe hit. I had aimed to make this as a sew-along for Miss Matatabi's Nani Iro month (which was in June... yes. yes, I know.... it's September...) 
I did manage to finish this in time to take on our summer holiday, and it was a lovely easy piece to chuck in my bag. Here it is in situ, complete with holiday creases, in a Romanian meadow. Photo by Torin, aged eight.
Joy Flower, Smile, indeed....




"It's lovely to have you here, come back soon!"


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. That turned out really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a gorgeous blouse Victoria. Love the fabric! I have the same pattern bookmarked :) Well, I bookmarked it months ago, still getting to it hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fabric and the blouse....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you, and try to reply as often as I can, either here or by email. All views, tips, gratefully received...
Victoria